Nothing beats a tasty sugar cookie during the holidays. Since I’ve been eating more AIP-Friendly foods, it has been a lot harder for me to find treats that satisfy my cookie cravings.
The past few years, I’ve been making my own! This ‘sugar’ cookie recipe uses our AIP Classic Grain-Free Hot Cereal. It has a base of Tiger Nut Flour, which is great for baking, and the shredded coconut adds a wonderful texture and keeps these cookies soft. Tiger Nuts aren’t a nut at all; they’re actually a delicious prebiotic superfood tuber, and they provide extra protein and nutrition.
These cookies are great to decorate with friends and family. At our annual office holiday party, we always bring a few batches so all of our employees can decorate their own!
AIP ‘Sugar’ Cookies
Yields: 8 cookies
Prep Time: 10 mins
Total Time: 1 hour
- ¼ c + 2 tbsp cassava flour
- ¼ c AIP Classic Grain Free Hot Cereal
- ¼ c arrowroot starch
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ c palm shortening
- ¼ c maple syrup
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp ground clove
- ⅛ tsp ground ginger
Instructions for the cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Combine the dry ingredients into a small bowl, then quickly mix together with a fork to remove any lumps and evenly distribute the spices.
- Cream together room-temperature palm shortening, maple syrup, and vanilla extract.
- Using a spatula, gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, one third at a time.
- Use your hands to form the dough into a ball and place it into the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. A chilled dough will be much easier to shape later.
- Pull a roughly 2 tbsp-sized piece from the dough ball and roll into a small ball, then flatten the dough to about ½ inch thick. If the dough sticks, sprinkle a little cassava flour on your preparation surface. Use whatever cookie cutter you prefer to create your shape.
- Continue this process until all your cookies are formed, then place them on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 11-14 minutes, or until the edges of your cookies are golden brown.
- Allow to cool completely before decorating with your favorite AIP-friendly frosting. (For a simple Vanilla icing, I love this one!)
I hope you enjoy these cookies. Please leave me any comments below or email me your creations to email@example.com. I’d love to see what you make!
Interested in our AIP Classic Cereal by itself? It’s available HERE!